Concerns around Covid-19 have led to many of us to shop online, instead of visiting the High Street. Consumer safety charity Electrical Safety First has carried out some research for Electrical Safety Week (23rd-29th November) which shows that three out of five consumers in Scotland will be shopping on online marketplaces for what they see as ‘safer’ Christmas shopping.

But the Charity is warning shoppers that they could be swapping one safety risk for another. Multiple investigations by Electrical Safety First have found dangerous electrical products, which present a serious fire risk, can easily be bought from third party sellers via online marketplaces.

Now Jackie Baillie, MSP for Dumbarton Constituency, as part of her support for Electrical Fire Safety Week, is helping the Charity raise awareness of this risk in the run up to the Christmas shopping period.

“Electrical Safety First’s research has shown that almost 60% of us in Scotland will buy from online marketplaces this Christmas. And 58% are planning to use these websites more than usual”, explains Jackie Baillie MSP.

“This is essentially because people believe these websites are a safer way of shopping than going to the High Street during the pandemic. But this confidence is not supported by the Charity’s investigations, which have repeatedly found unsafe electricals for sale online, including on Amazon Marketplace, eBay and Electrical Safety First’s research indicates that over 20% are planning to buy an electrical item as a gift this Christmas – yet it has previously found that in the UK three out of five fake electricals are purchased online, with a third of buyers experiencing major problems with the item.

“So I’m joining with Electrical Safety First to urge my constituents to reduce their chances of buying dangerous electricals by sticking to the stores or websites of known manufacturers and retailers and to beware of buying from third party sellers on these platforms. We all love a bargain and Christmas is always expensive! But with nearly three quarters of fires in Scotland’s homes caused by electricity – and most arising from electrical products – this is a risk you don’t want to take.”


Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search