Jackie Baillie, MSP for Dumbarton Constituency, has said that the Scottish Government must ensure that adequate support is available for the hospitality businesses who have been affected by the extension to the current restrictions.
Nicola Sturgeon announced that the restrictions – which were previously due to expire on Monday – will now continue until 2 November. This sees thousands of hospitality businesses across the Central Belt forced to remain closed until then, with the exception of cafes.
Jackie Baillie MSP said:
“Business owners and workers in the hospitality industry accepted these extreme restrictions expecting that they would only last two weeks. This further extension will have come as a real blow for thousands of people in this industry and I fear that many businesses will not survive as a result.
“Local restaurants, pubs and cafes went to exceptional lengths – and spent a lot of money – to ensure that all safety measures were met and that customers are safe on their premises.
“If Nicola Sturgeon thinks it is not safe for these businesses to open then she must ensure that long term financial support is in place so that businesses are not forced to close their doors for good and make staff redundant.”